The Erlebnisregion Ochsenkoof is also called Franconia’s “roof” with enchanting landscapes and peaks such as the Ochsenkopf or the Schneeberg mountains. The Fichtelgebirge has been famous as a center for gold, silver, and copper mining. The area around the Ochsenkopf (1024 meters) offers exceptional holiday in the north of bavaria. Four communities are offering holidays: Fichtelberg, Warmensteinach, Mehlmeisel and Bischofsgrün as a climatic health resort.
What is there to do? Vacation enjoyment for young and old in winter- and summertime. Bicycling on good bicycle paths. Hiking around the lakes and through the forests. Skiing and snowboarding in the wintertime. Adventure in the first Zipline Park in Germany.
Due to our work the news are in german language. For editorial-use images, please email. View Erlebnisregion Ochsenkopf.
- Between Schneeberg and Ochsenkopf lies the Fichtelsee. It invites you to swim in summer. Parts of the lake are designated as a natural forest reserve with vegetation typical of a high moor.
- Numerous cycle paths lead through the forest or for pedal knights to the Ochsenkopf. Extreme bikers love downhill biking.
BikePark for mountain bikers. Awarded with the E-Bike Innovation Award. A film about it
- Themed hiking trails such as the echo forest trail with an echo stone in the middle of the forest or the glass hiking trail, which gives an insight into the old craft of glassmaking, offer interesting excursions into nature. Also the poet Jean Paul has a long hiking trail that reaches as far as Bayreuth.
- In the Waldhaus Mehlmeisel with its game park, guided tours for forest education are tempting. This is also the home of the rare wood grouse.
Cultural programme: from traditional customs to the Bayreuth Festival of Young Artists and the Forest Christmas.
- Wolfsgarten to visit since 2015 - a historic hunting ground.
- Germany's first zipline park was opened in summer 2011.
- Winter hiking is made possible by the winter hiking trail "Ochsenkopfrunde", certified by the German Hiking Association and just over ten kilometers long.
Germany's largest snowman attracts numerous visitors to Bischofsgrün every year at carnival.
- Guided snowshoe hikes under a roof of spruce trees: "In the footsteps of the stone carvers" and on the "Backöfeleweg".
- International ski jumping events in summer and skiing fun in winter.
- Fit4life is a health concept to stay fit with sportive support.